The difficulty of discerning truth

WELCOME Forums Unicultism & Other Ideologies The difficulty of discerning truth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

I seek truth, but it’s hard to find.

How do you find truth?

How do you know when you have found it?

Can truth even be found?

For me, the concept of truth is of utmost importance in topics of Spirituality and Ideology. I find that when I deny the truth, my spirit is weakened and my ideas are not in line with reality. When I choose to seek the truth instead, however difficult, my spirit is strengthened, my ideas are more powerful, and my path is more clear.

However, it is very rare that the truth is clear, or even fixed. It seems to move, to adapt, to evade. One truth found today may be augmented tomorrow, and therefore unusable in the same way.

How do we refine the search for truth? Can it be done, or is all human existence guesswork at best?

unicole
    Keymaster

It seems no matter how you ground your truth, it is likely to change. For instance, if you primarily focus on scientific truth, your truth will be radically different as new discoveries are made. Additionally, if you trust your heart as truth, that too may change over time. For the most part, I believe the truth of our heart stays the same throughout life. So can we regard this form of truth to be more reliable? If a truth changes, was it truth to begin?

I like ideas of truth and I believe there are infinite truths. But, that is not the same idea that everyone has.
    So where are you drawing your truth from? Is it internal, external, or a bit of both?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by unicole.
    Dan
    Participant

I think it has to be a mix of both, but I think what I’m talking about is an external truth. In other words, truth as a permeating concept outside ourselves. Like the laws of physics. They are there regardless of our observation. (As far as we know)

What do you mean by infinite truths?

I heard a statement once that went something like:

Any statement that is fully complete is not true, and any statement that is fully true is incomplete.

unicole
    Keymaster

By infinite truths I just mean truths that don’t ever change.

Dan
    Participant

Ahhh, I’m glad I clarified. I thought you were talking relative truth. Slippery slope if you ask me. I think of truth as a more fixed idea, and something that we can perceive together. Truths that never change definitely resonates with that. 🙂

Plant Magic
    Participant

To know the truth, call off the search. Not even Veritas can find it.

Jeremiah
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.